I'm Going to Europe!!!

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Well, we got back from the black sea late last night and I didn’t get to bed until about 2. Also, last night Holly informed us that we were going to be going to the orphanage in the morning, which was really surprising because we weren’t expecting to go for like another week. But since I didn’t get to bed til like 2:30 and we had to try to be at the orphanage by like 8:10, I clearly didn’t get much sleep. But off we all went to the orphanage for the first time. So, we get there and we go into this one room to wait for Mario and it was so sad because when she came she was like “why did you bring all the girls? I told you just you and me.” I felt so bad for Holly because I know how it is when sometimes communication between you and a Romanian is very tough and you can try really hard to make sure you understand, but sometimes it just doesn’t work. I knew she was embarrassed and I just felt so bad for her. Anyway, so we didn’t actually get to see the orphanage, but instead just talked in the little room until they came back. We were able to go to the Panella Day Care Center afterwards, however. We all took taxis there and met with the lady in charge in some kind of a conference type room. After that she showed us around a little. I love the day care. I think it’s such a good place and wish that the hospital and the orphanage could be like that too. It might be hard to be always seeing the two totally opposite facilities because I think I might then always be dying over the travesty that the orphanage kids can’t have the same care. One of the first interesting things at the orphanage that I noticed was the way that the woman talked about Romania and about Romania versus Sweden (the Center was founded by the Swedish and employs Swedish techniques). As she was explaining how the place works she would constantly note that “it is a very Swedish way of doing things” or “this is not the Romanian way” or “the Swedish are very….” or “the Romanians are very…” Like for example, how she talked about how the Swedish make decisions for the kids by involving lots of different people in the decision: many different kinds of doctors, family and sometimes even the child while the Romanians like to make their decision independent of any other input and they just say “here, this is my diagnosis” and don’t care what anyone else thinks. Also, she showed us the outside play area and said something about how the Swedish use techniques involving the child getting sunlight and being able to explore and things like that while in Romania it’s much more focused on academics, math, science, etc. I don’t know, I thought it was really really interesting. I mean, I see this in a lot of people in Romania. What I mean is, not only do I see a lot of the Romanian traits that she mentioned, but at the same time, I see people like her who you can tell really admire other more Western modes of thought and who really try to imitate them. It’s almost like a child who tries to copy their older brother or sister. It really kind of touched me actually. And on one hand it made me sad to see that she felt her own country’s way was inferior. That’s such a heartbreaking position to be put in. But on the other hand, I mean, I agree. From what I see, the Romanian way of doing things can be, well, less healthy and functional. I agreed with most of the Day Care’s “Swedish” ways of doing things and thought it was an amazing preschool. I’d send my own kids there. I don’t know, I hope somehow Romania can manage to allow joining the European Union to help them to improve, while at the same time not force them to lose their identity. I don’t know that that’s possible though. Sad. It should be interesting to see how Romania changes in the next few years. On another note, I’m excited because they wanted two girls to go back to the preschool tomorrow and actually help out and Jessica and I are going to go! I think I’ll really enjoy going there. And moving on. So after a little down time, we went to the hospital. At the hospital I was back with Constantine on the 1st floor (intensive care). The mean doctor was there today, so we had to wait til he went in a room and sneak in and then hope he didn’t come in our room over the next few hours. And he didn’t! Today, Constantine was in with two other babies and their moms. I talked to both of them quite a bit even though one only spoke very little English and the other spoke like absolutely none. But it was refreshing to be able to still manage to communicate some. Constantine was a little more fussy today and it was tiring because I had to hold him for 3 hours straight and constantly make sure I was holding him/rocking him the way he wanted to be held/rocked or else he’d start to cry. I couldn’t just stick him on my legs and play with his arms or something. Also, when I first came in, some of the nurses followed me in and tried to tell me he couldn’t be held today and stuck his hands in his pants so he was like bound. Well, right after they walked out, one of the orderlies looked and me and said something and basically I could tell she was saying “screw them, do it anyway,” and I did. After they left I picked him up and started to comfort him. Then, a little while later I took his arms out too because I know he’s stiff from being in that crib all day and his limbs need to be moved. I like to move around and bend them as much as I gently can because I feel that helps him be less stiff. A little makeshift physical therapy. Also, I was trying to teach him to put his fingers in his mouth because he’s constantly sucking the air, and often will gladly suck my fingers, but it’d be much better if he’d just suck his own. I wasn’t the only one who was breaking the rules today either. The mom’s apparently aren’t allowed to put binkies in the babies mouths, so first they’ll try to get the baby to stop crying, but if it doesn’t work, they’ll have one mom at the door while the other mom gives the baby the binky. If a doctor comes they’ll slip it back into their pocket. I loved it. I also told them about the mean doctor and about how I didn’t want him to see me. After a while, I got in a pretty comfy position with Constantine with me sitting on the bed, leaning against the wall and just rocking him gently. His eyelids started to get heavy and luckily he fell asleep just right in time because just after the nurse came in and made me put him back in the crib. I’d much rather have him fall asleep happy and content in my arms and just leave with him happy, then have to wrench myself away from him and put him in his crib and hear his immediate cry as I walk away. I only had like a half hour left at that point so I went up and found Shannon on the 7th floor who was with Iuliana. She was in the same room as a gypsy mother and her child who we talked to a little bit, which was very very satisfying. I really want to be liked by the gypsies, so I played with her baby a little and gave her a toy. It was a good thing. After the orphanage we went to the mall. On the way to the mall there are always some gypsy kids who run up to us and ask for gum and stuff and hug us and kiss us and grab our hands, etc. So on the way there just one of them, a little girl came and did it and Jessica gave her some pretzels. Then afterwards 3 kids and a baby (which one girl was holding) accosted us again. This time they wouldn’t leave for quite some time and actually Shannon and I separated from the other three and went a different way home, at which time the other 3 were still being followed by the gypsy kids. It really worries me because, well, they’re not homeless, their gypsies and half of me wonders if they only do it to have a good laugh, which is basically what all my reading indicates. I don’t think they actually need our food. The baby was really fat. I’m ok with hugging and kissing them but I don’t think we should give them anything else. It is good though that they don’t seem to have taken anything from us or even tried. Well, after we got home we had to rush to get ready and go to Outreach. Outreach was really wonderful. There was a really good turnout and it was very boisterous. We all felt more part of the group and I felt more like I could talk to the people in the branch. We’re starting to form bonds, which is good. Also, Jessica and one of the Sis. Missionaries were playing the guitar which always helps. The fabulous bean dip helped too. We also got our callings today. I am a Conductor. It’s interesting because that calling really isn’t scary to me whatsoever. I was expecting some fabulously scary call that was going to push me really hard and that I’d have to work super hard to do, but no. In fact, when he called me I was almost like “what? That’s it?” But I know that’s a crappy attitude and I’m doing really well at being happy with it. At least I don’t have to worry much about it! Also, it’s really confusing because I’m not the only conductor and we’re all just like, “So when do we each conduct!?!” and also “who picks the music!?!” I left outreach late with Shannon and we walked home together. On the way home we both got gogoasa. It was my second of the day and wow I love them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home